Posted: March 22, 2011 from fotofest.org
The FotoFest 2012 Biennial takes place March 16 - April 23, 2012.
The FotoFest 2012 Biennial will be looking at Contemporary Russia.
FotoFest’s own exhibition will focus on Contemporary Russian Photography: Post World War II Avant-garde Photography to the Present. These exhibitions will show work by Russian photographers working in Russia. The theme will be explored through five photography, video and multi-media exhibitions of work by contemporary Russian artists. FotoFest’s Creative Directors are collaborating with two Russian curators on these exhibitions.
In addition to FotoFest’s own exhibitions, numerous Participating Spaces in the Biennial look at work that artists send to FotoFest for consideration. These spaces have the option of 1) following FotoFest’s focus which in 2012, can include work about Contemporary Russia by artists of any nationality, or 2) presenting work unrelated to FotoFest’s theme.
Participating Spaces are the over 100 galleries, non-profit spaces, and commercial venues in the Houston area that choose to exhibit photography during the FotoFest Biennial alongside FotoFest’s own exhibitions. Participating Spaces may take a more varied and open-ended approach to what they will exhibit for the Biennial. Some spaces will follow the Biennial focus, others will not. On average, ten Participating Spaces create exhibitions based on portfolios seen on the FotoFest submission web page.
FotoFest curators will be doing their own studio research in Russia for its own exhibitions, but we are happy to consider submissions sent by Russian photographers for this purpose.
For Participating Spaces, FotoFest shows submissions on a special website to Participating Spaces possible exhibition by them during the Biennial. As stated above, these works can be about Contemporary Russia by artists of any nationality or work unrelated to FotoFest’s Russian Theme.
The submissions guidelines are listed below. FotoFest art staff reviews all submissions which are then shown to the FotoFest Art Board for review. Submissions approved by the Art Board are posted on the submission web page for Participating Spaces to view and select for possible exhibition.
Deadline: Friday, April 1, 2011 (at the FotoFest office)
To have your portfolio reviewed by the FotoFest, please send:
* A CD or DVD containing no more than 25 high quality digital images (JPEG)
* A short statement about your work
* A current resume or curiculum vitae
Materials will not be returned
* The FotoFest staff reviews portfolios on a monthly basis.
* Digital images must be sized to 1000 px at their longest dimension.
* Digital files that do not follow these specifications will not be considered.
* No more than 25 images will be reviewed. Supporting text can be saved on CD/DVD.
* Due to the volume of materials that FotoFest receives, submissions will be reviewed in the order in which they are received.
* Responses may take up to several months. Please be patient and DO NOT contact FotoFest regarding the status of your portfolio. We appreciate your patience.
* FotoFest does not review portfolios sent via email.
Please address work to:
FotoFest 2012 Biennial - SUBMISSIONS
1113 Vine Street, Ste 101
Houston, TX 77002
Please contact FotoFest Exhibitions Coordinator Jennifer Ward with any questions – email@example.com